4.29.2013

music monday.

last sunday, right after i threw a temper tantrum about not being able to pass my current level on candy crush, my dad told me he had a song for me to listen to and that "this is what your future husband will say to you someday.someone like you by van morrison:

i've been searching a long time
for someone exactly like you
i've been traveling all around the world
waiting for you to come through
someone like you make it all worthwhile
someone like you keep me satisfied
someone exactly like you

i've been traveling a hard road
baby looking for someone exactly like you
i've been carrying my heavy load
waiting for the light to come shining though
someone like you make it all worth while
someone like you make me satisfied
someone exactly like you

i've been doing some soul searching
to find out where you're at
i've been up and down the highway
in all kinds of foreign lands
someone like you make it all worthwhile
someone like you keep me satisfied
someone exactly like you

i've been all around the world
marching to the beat of a different drum
but just lately i have realized
the best is yet to come
someone like you make it all worthwhile
someone like you keep me satisfied
someone exactly like you

my dad always has special songs for me. i remember him singing me lullabies when i was little; james taylor's sweet baby james and joni mitchelle's the circle game. and for paige it was joni mitchelle's a case of you and van morrison's brown eyed girl.

on the day i graduated from high school i  found a note taped to my cap and gown; all it was were the lyrics to carly simon's love of my life and a "love, dad":

i love lilacs and avocados
ukuleles and fireworks
and woody allen and walking in the snow
but you've got to know that

you're the love of my life
from the moment i first saw you
the second that you were born
i knew that you were the love of my life
quite simply the love of my life

i love lucy and pumpernickel bread
the statue of liberty and standing ovations
and falling into bed
but get it through your head that

you can drive me crazy
you can drive me anywhere
here are the keys
just do as you please
it may not always be easy

but you're the love of my life
my heart is riding on a runaway train
you are the love of my life
through all the pleasure and pain
from the moment i first saw you
i knew it right away
i knew that you were the love of my life
simply the love of my life
you are the love
the great love of my life.

he also makes like dadcourtneypaige theme songs. one to the tune of skyline's school song and another to be sung to steely dan's gaslighting abbie:

flame is the game;
the game we call gasoline alley*.
it's a luscious invention for three, 
courtney, paige, and me ...

*we sang this on trips to the gasoline alley arcade on early fridays. my dad would meet up with paige and i after school and we'd spend the afternoon with pac-man and paperboy. <<< the good life.

i attribute a lot of what i like to my dad (movies, good food, family, jokes, ice cream), but my appreciation for music MOST DEFINITELY came from him.

here are some more songs that remind me of him.

happy monday!

2 comments:

Mark and Lisa said...

well i am crying now!

Meyer Family said...

That was a beautiful tribute to your daddy! :) Now about that husband he's talking about.....